Sunday, February 01, 2009

Polmo Polpo



Polmo Polpo - The Science of Breath (2002) on Alien8 Recordings

1. High Breathing
2. Oarca
3. Mid Breathing
4. Acqua
5. Low Breathing
6. Rottura
7. Complete Breath
8. Riva

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U9N24X8T


I uploaded this a while back to share elsewhere, but I might as well add it here since it's such an awesome album. Polmo Polpo is one of the many monikers of Toronto based, avant-garde musician Sandro Perri. The best description I've read is "grainy, dubbed out techno."

This is really hypnotic stuff. Loops degrade & fade away, as slide guitar slowly creeps in. The sound is relaxingly deep, as if you're at the bottom of the ocean or inside a womb. I really can't get enough of this. There's another Polmo Polpo album, but unfortunately it's not as pelagic sounding as The Science of Breath. Nowadays Sandro Perri seems to be performing under his own name, more acoustic type stuff. A personal reminder: Check out more of Alien8 Recordings, which also features Nadja and Tim Hecker. Hell, I need to expose myself to more "abstract electronic music" in general.

No comments: